Vintage Beauties



Your body just won't move anymore
like your spirit wants it to.
What I wouldn't give to see you out on that floor
dancing like you used to do!
If only I could do the dancing for you,
I would oblige happily,
but dancing has always been something
that has eluded me.
Although you might not ever see it,
I've got a secret for you:
the joy you retain gets something like a dance
moving through my soul.

Capo II
Bm - Am - / Bm - C - / Bm - Am - / C - G - :|| (3x)

You make me wish I could've known you
when you were more
of the beautiful
you that you still are.

Bm - C - / Bm - Am - / / C - G -

Your brain has lost some of that razor sharpness
that once glistened through your mind,
but I can still see it glimmering
and sparkling in your eyes.
When you crashed to the ground that morning,
you lost much more than your legs.
In a moment you went from standing tall
to being blindsided by the fall,
but you're surely still a teacher
through and through.
I wish I could articulate
all the things I learn from you.

You had to be one tough cookie
in your day.
You lost two sons to war
and an infant daughter along the way.
Your husband turned to alcohol
and was consumed by that disease.
He left you alone in this old world
when he crashed into that tree.
You raised up my grandfather,
and though my memories of you are few,
as with those blankets you knitted,
in him your warmth passes through.

Final Verse:

Maybe some day I'll find myself in a
similar situation.
If I do I only hope I can
be such an inspiration
to all the people I might
happen to meet
as you have been
for me.

Bm - Am - :|| (6x)
C - G - / Am - G -