Ephemeral Iridescences



It's a bright and sunny day, but I don't feel that way.
I feel like such a fool for staying stuck inside of this gloom,
but what else can I do? I'm still hung up on her,
so I go out for a run. I just keep running from
opening up to embrace all the changes in my life;
but the rhythm of my footsteps sets my heart at ease,
and you never know what you might come across on a friendly neighborhood street.
Spontaneous joy might arise. You might be caught by surprise...

C* G F C :|| (8x)

...by big bubbles bursting with the
laughter of little children in the park,
bright rays of light
shimmering through the dark.

C* G / F Am G - / C* G / F G C -

This old world can bring me down. There's a lot of heavy shit going round,
so I try to appreciate life's little gifts along the way:
tomatoes ripening on the vine, an occasional glass of wine,
a warm smile passing by, clear and starry nights,
my morning cup of coffee, a bear that's crisp and hoppy,
dark chocolate rich and creamy, a hot shower soothing and steamy,
soft rain against my skin, shelters from the wind,
a lover's tender embrace, so many things like these.

They're like big bubbles bursting
with the laughter of little children in the park,
bright rays of light shimmering away the dark.

We might be tempted to put the things we love up on a shelf,
to keep them away from everybody else,
but the life they contain would quickly fade away.
The change would be drastic. Our love would turn to plastic.
Don't give me plastic bubbles.
I get no return from them.
They don't have the right float or iridescent spin.
They'll never quench my thirst without that effervescent burst.

Give me big bubbles bursting
with the laughter of little children in the park,
bright spheres of light
flashing and passing like a spark.