Coming of Age



We were drinking and passing joints
in the coming of our age,
in the foolishness of our youth,
but I loved it just the same.

Capo IV
A Asus2 G - / C - G - / / F - C -

I had just started college
when those towers came down.
Childhood was over,
but I'd never be full grown.

Our foolhardy, overgrown leaders
seemed more and more insane.
Hawks who looked more like pigeons,
I swore I'd never be like them.

Oh, they had all of the answers.
They'd bring this threat to its knees,
but when they brought their hammer down
they only bent the nail even more.

Bridge:
Oh, why couldn't they have seen
their shot in the dark was bound to miss?
When you try to force the human spirit,
it'll always rise up and resist.

F - C - / G - C - :||

So let's just keep our shirts on,
and not be too quick to roll up our sleeves.
Let's talk it out as long as we can
before we give up on peace.

Maybe you think I'm naïve,
and maybe you're right;
but if this old world is to have a chance,
we've got to pick the right fights.

So maybe it was just a way to cope
with all the bleakness that we'd seen,
a misguided search for hope,
for a catalyst to our dreams.

Whatever the reason,
we were drinking and passing joints
in the coming of our age,
in the foolishness of our youth,
but I loved it just the same.