Recurrence of the Benign



I laid my heart open to the benign indifference of the universe. To feel it so like myself, indeed, so brotherly, made me realize that I'd been happy, and that I was happy still.”
- Albert Camus' Meursault in The Stranger

You can look around the world and see
nothing but trouble and woe.
You can curse everything that you find
and never come to know
a life outside of your own mind,
which is nothing but a dream,
but if you take a closer look,
things aren't always what they seem.

Capo IV
A G / F A / A G / F G A - :||

So don't you worry, and don't you fret.
The universe is benign and indifferent.
So turn your face towards the sun,
feel its touch so soft and warm,
relax your weary mind,
and open up your heart.

F G / A F - A - / G A / / / F G A -

I'm not claiming to have seen the light,
maybe just slightest glimpse.
I try to take this insight to heart,
but my mind still tends to slip
back into that self-absorbed mode
of I, me, and mine,
until these words resound clear as a bell,
tolling through my mind. They say...

And so it goes, on and on.
This answer is not an end.
It's a fit and start that comes back to you
time and time again.
You're still bound to get caught up in those whirlwinds,
those tangles of this and that,
but if you keep your ears open, before too long
you'll hear these words echo back. And they'll say...