Great Beauty



 “The first thing to see when you come to India—for God's sake don't see the poverty, like an old colonizer. Don't see the poverty. Don't see that. See the beauty of the people. When you see the tremendous beauty of the people of India, then you see India. Poverty is a different thing.”
- Pierre Ceyrac

You've got the gall to suggest to me
that the state of my country is a travesty.
Looking down from atop your high horse,
you say the land that I come from is a slum.
Well, look at you with all of your answers;
tell me: where does happiness lie?
What if all this thinking that you call enlightened
was more of a burden in disguise?

Dm C / Dm Am / / C B7 :||

My home is a land of great beauty:
you'll see what you come looking for.

Dm Am C B7 / C B7 Am - B7

You say that you've seen all there is to see
of this cold and desperate heart.
You say there never was any hope for me,
that I never could love you from the start.
But there's more warmth in my heart for you
than you could ever know.
I'm sorry I couldn't seem to let it show,
but that doesn't mean my heart doesn't glow.

In my heart there is a space of great beauty:
I don't know what I keep it locked away from.

I try to understand how you must feel,
at least as much as I can.
It's been ringing in your ears all of your life:
that you're not beautiful like them.
And it's all so pervasive. There seems no escape.
I'd get caught by it to if I were you.
So many looks are there to confirm it,
but those glares only obscure the truth.

Your body is bounding with great beauty:
look beyond what they've got you striving for.

You say that you've taken a good look inside and out,
that you've grown bitter from all that you've seen,
that there seems to be only anger and fear
and boundless self-serving greed.
Sure, in this life there are plenty of dregs,
and they can get caught in your throat;
but there's plenty of sweetness to wash them away.
I hope you can find where it flows.

This life is overflowing with great beauty:
you'll see it if you only look a little more.