Ringing in the Ears


It can get mighty frightening out here on the beat
with all this bad blood flowing through the streets.
From all I've seen I can't blame them for blaming us.
If only there was some way to know which cops they could trust.

Capo II
Am Dm / E7 Am :|| (E7 Am )

I'm speaking to you from beyond the grave,
martyred by the fallout from the crimes of the state.
Sitting in my cruiser, my partner by my side,
and in confusion a mad man took both our lives.

F Am / E7 Am :|| (E7 Am)

A thought haunts me on duty; it's never far from my mind,
What would my family do if I left them behind?”
So each morning before I go I try to let them know
that I love them, I love them, I love them so.

I'm speaking to you from beyond the grave,
my dear family I love you more than words can say.
Oh, if only that mad man could have seen your loving eyes,
would he still have had the nerve to take me from your lives?

I've seen the surveillance videos; some of them were my friends.
Those guns can come out so quickly, you've got to keep on your toes.
And even when you do, sometimes there's just no time.
That rascal's got the upper hand, and it's just your time to go.

I'm speaking to you from beyond the grave,
in my time I saw some friends get taken in cold blood
by rational and calculating low life scum.
Maybe that's not fair, but from my side there's no forgiving what
  they've done.

I was talking with my partner, and we both agreed
that things were getting our of control out here on the streets.
We wanted to de-escalate, find a way to turn down the heat.
Hey, in the rearview mirror, is that a gun I see?!”

I'm speaking to you from beyond the grave,
laid low by a mad man who didn't know what to believe.
I don't doubt that in his time he had seen some nasty things.
I don't doubt that in his twisted mind he was letting freedom ring.

I used to love to go out fishing on the lake.
I loved the peace and quiet; I loved the escape.
I used to love to hike along flowing mountain streams.
I wish I could have stayed for ever lost inside such dreams.

(F Am / F E7 :|| Am )